International Real Estate

Electricity Abroad - type of travel adaptor

Wondering about electricity abroad, and what type of travel adaptor do I need might be the question you are asking yourself.

Travel Adaptor

Are you prepared to plug in abroad?

Electrical systems differ around the world. Some use 50 hertz; some 60. Some use 110-120 volts; others 220-240. Some are on all the time, barring an ice storm or earthquake; some run a few hours a day. The plugs are also different so travelers with electrical appliances should ensure that they are adequately prepared with a travel adapator of some type.

Using Laptop computers abroad

Virtually all laptop computers (including those with internal power supplies) will handle a range of electricity from 100 to 240 volts and a frequency of 50 to 60Hz fine. In other words, you might not need a converter/transformer because of the type of electricity abroad where you are going to; most power supplies have supported ranges printed directly on them (like on this image), so have a look. However, you will definitely need to make sure that you have the plug that matches the outlet for the country you are going to and may still require a travel adaptor.

Using a Radio abroad

Radios also tend to be interchangeable from country to country. The exact FM range being used can vary from country to country though, so you may not be able to access all stations. In the US, only odd channels (88.1,88.3, 100.1 etc) are used. A radio intended for the US market will not work correctly in most other countries. Japan, in particular, has an FM band from 76 MHz to 90 MHz rather than the more common 87.5 MHz to 108 MHz. The countries of the former Soviet Union also use a similar band.

Mobile phones and digital cameras

Chargers for these may work with both 110V and 240V systems, though you may still need a type of adaptor or plug or you might be able to use the shaver socket. You may be able to get a second charger for the other voltage system, or even a dual voltage charger designed for both systems. However, your mobile phone handset may not be compatible with the country's network, or you may be limited to certain cellular providers.

Equipment using standard batteries

Battery sizes and voltages tend to be standard from place to place, and equipment that uses off-the-shelf batteries tends to be interchangeable. It may be difficult to get good quality batteries in some countries, especially alkaline batteries which are needed my most electronic equipment. If a cheaper battery is used, make sure to remove it as soon as it is exhausted or if the equipment will not be used for a while (risk of leakage). Rechargeable batteries are a good idea but you will still need a good travle adaptor to being able to charge them up.

If you are going abroad to look for property you have the option of viewing properties via the international property listings section in the property section of Property Directory.

Electricity Abroad | What type of travel adaptor do I need

Living Abroad, market updates, news:

Useful Forum Links :
World Foundation Forum »


© International Property Forum | All rights reserved.
Bookmark and Share